1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett joins the club?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Human_Paraquat, Aug 14, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So Kid, which managers don't have a reporter to boss around? If they're turning in copy, they can call themselves whatever they want. If not, they should think about picking up a pen or a phone once in a while. Strange thing about the "dynamic" times we're working through, the newsroom "fiefdoms" never change.

2. i pretty much said that at my last job interview. yeah, it's a buyer's market for talent, but given how the industry's house of cards is collapsing on itself, how can i give a legit, reasoned answer when i'm asked that question?

3. i got the gig. i think the big man appreciated the honesty.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Try one of the real music channels.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In a market like Louisville and central Kentucky, where high school sports are the largest part of the sports coverage, that would be absolute business suicide.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So did they hire him?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have either.

8. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Gannett layoffs will be complete by August 27. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

... And that kid was Tom Junod.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd have hired him.

Anyone with that much confidence, moxie and determination would be good to have for 12 months and then send on his way than to ignore it.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

From what I hear, two job cuts in Oshkosh, FWIW

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Lafayette Advertiser announced six job cuts today. Laid off employees will be informed by the end of next week. Their staff is already pretty thin, can't imagine even more losses.

Draft saved Draft deleted