1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett joins the club?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Human_Paraquat, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

So your theory is that newspaper ad revenue is skyrocketing. I mean, if there's nothing else.

Radio? I listen every day. Hear ads fairly consistently.
    Television? Did you watch the opening ceremonies from Beijing? If there wasn't an ad break every five minutes, I'll buy your lunch.
    E-mail? Spam filters are like steroid testing. The filters are always a step behind the blockers.
    CELL PHONES? In the last week I've gotten FIVE calls from telemarkets on my cell phone. My best friend has gotten several.
    Internet? So, you're saying there are no ads on Web pages you view? Um, care to glance to the side or below of the page you're on now?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He subscribes. He doesn't see a damned ad anywhere on this page.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think it's cost effective for local car dealer or local furniture store to buy an Olympic spot.

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

So you got NO local ads during the opening ceremonies? OR ANY OTHER SHOW EVER ON TELEVISION?

As for subscribing to this site to not get ads (along with the no local ads on ONE show), those are both exceptions. Do you agree advertisers have nowhere to go but newspapers? Are you serious? Really serious? Keep burying your head in the sand. Oh, and don't read about more layoffs. There won't be any, because we are the only source of advertising.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I repeat myself, fool ...

I have Sirius. Satellite radio. No ads on the music channels. You should look into that.

TV commercials induce use of the remote control.

My spam filters work great. Of course, I use Gmail for my personal mail. Perhaps you're still on Hotmail? I'm sorry. Your fault.

It's a violation of federal law for telemarketers to call cell phones. Report the bastards and then add your cellie to the federal Do Not Call list. Both of those methods actually work.

Internet? No ads on pages I view. I use this web browser and this browser extension, along with this automatically-updated filter set. And that's the second time I've told you that in less than an hour. Pay attention. And as for SportsJournalists.com, did you notice the line under my username that says SJ Subscriber? It has benefits.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No fair. That's a dirigible. Completely different.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. first thing i do when i see the blue valupak envelope? open circular file, insert.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You're the reason Cox is selling Val-Pak. :D

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Or...

You could have TiVo, which automatically deletes commercials.
    You could have DVR, which allows you to fast forward right through them.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rumored NJ hits include about 50 at Asbury Park, 35 at Courier Post in Cherry Hill (Camden) and 10 at Morris Daily Record.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But people are forced to read the ads in the newspapers?

12. I think the new publisher the Courier-Journal got last week, the one that helped his last paper win two Pulitzers, likely means you can scratch the CJ off that list. They don't bring in newspaper men to run 10-page wraps.

Draft saved Draft deleted