1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett joins the club?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Human_Paraquat, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Everybody's entitled to write whatever dreck they want as a blog. But this writer blames "several non-bloggers" for the decision to shut down blogs in protest of management, as if no self-respecting blogger would ever choose or even see the wisdom of not doing unilaterally added duties for a company that is raping and pillaging the work force in other ways.

His message to readers: I disagree with many of my colleagues and would prefer to work for free, more or less, at this task.

Then he gives out his and other phone numbers, basically promising to be every reader's 1-on-1 contact for coverage of the team.

No wonder the suits laugh at us, either behind closed doors or increasingly to our faces. They know that many of us will work virtually for free at our little jobs, to the point that paying a livable wage to any of us starts to make them feel stupid. So then they don't.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That makes me feel like there are people who are constantly selling their company stock or moving it over the day after they get it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If by people, you mean 99.9 percent of the folks in the 401k plan, I think you're probably correct.

4. i seriously wonder if that's affecting the stock price in a not-so-insignificant way. (certainly ain't helping.) people looking to constantly dump their stock ain't a good sign.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But would you want it? Didn't I just read that the stock is down 67 percent this year?

Say you put 3 percent away or something every week, and they match that, and then the stock goes down from $17.42, to $5.42, its not much of a 401k plan.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm no Gordon Gekko, so I'm not sure how this works. But if Gannett "matches" say 5 percent of your take-home, for arguments sake we'll say $500, with Gannett stock, does that mean they are having to contribute MORE Gannett shares, 66 percent more shares, to employees than they did a year ago?

7. agreed, mustang, but their idea to eliminate pensions and replace it with an enhanced 401(k), resulting in a lot of people wanting to unload stock on a regular basis, may do more harm than good.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's all relative. But yeah, they do have to give out more shares, but it's the same money's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted