1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett is waving its balls in my face ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Sep 14, 2012.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

... and I'm not impressed. A sophomoric memo worthy of the Lee Abrams-Tribune regime. I can't believe that I used to dream of working for this company.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/09/14/usa-today-explains-its-cool-balls/#more-24717

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Approves this message.

(By the way, that's one of the most pathetic things I've ever read.)

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

They went outside the company to hire people to come up with a plain logo (same font as the headlines, so it all blends together), they brought in a blue ball at a company that should know better than to reference a blue ball (see end of that Romenesko link), and from what I've heard, they're about to launch a website with non-standard ad sizes. The latter is the rough equivalent of ESPN telling its advertisers, "Oh, your ads need to be 23 seconds."

Yeah, this'll go well.

On the other hand, I thought the content was pretty good. The "USA TOMORROW" section was a fun read.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When was Gannett the company people wanted to work for? I remember when Tribune Co. held that title and boy has that changed quickly...

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

All I "know" is that the "guy" uses a lot of those "quotation marks" for some kind of "emphasis."

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

USA Yesterday, desperately attempting to grab at relevance.

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

The paper might be USA Yesterday but the USA Today Sports Media Group is one of the best in the game.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The artist who delivered that speech must be the guy who came up with this graphic:

[​IMG]

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

My first newspaper job 20 years ago was a small Gannett paper; I could think of nothing better than landing in Wilmington or Cincinnati and finally punch my ticket to USA Today. It was a great company until about 1991, when it started rolling out News 2000. A steady drop from there.

10. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

That was actually a woman. Look at the credit.

11. sm72

sm72 Member

Mark Richt has lost control of USA Today. As have people who actually know how to create a complementary business product.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Still one of the great adventures of my life, being there from 1984 until '91.

But the leadership of the newspaper, and of the sports department in particular, lost its way after 1988 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted