1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Honolulu union prepares to strike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Feb 16, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gannett gets away with it because the corporation is cheap, and the evil empire is big enough to twist arms and threaten to walk out.

Good luck to the union in Honolulu. Crummy benefits and a whopping 1 percent increase in pay after a year stinks. Though I'm sure Gannett thinks it's getting robbed. ::)

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Question for those of you familiar with labor laws - could management force you to be a scab?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

5. PC

PC New Member

As someone who is young and new to the business, I'm curious to know why strikes aren't more common?

I understand there aren't very many strong unions, but why isn't there strong unions? Is there some historic reason for this? I would seem that a profession of intelligent educated workers would figure out a way to organzie so they weren't treat like Wall-Mart employees. Why isn't this so?

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Gannett wouldn't go to outside companies for help -- that's too expensive. They would use a combination of loaners from their other 90 papers and islanders who don't care that they're crossing a picket line.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No competition in most markets. Shaky state of the industry. Higher education workers in this field than in many other unionized fields. People who feel they are doing a great public service every day in their job. (Last one is questionable.)

8. The last few strikes in the business were spectacular failures. I would think that has a chilling effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted