1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett going to paywall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If newspaper were smart, they'd find a way to insert ads from a banner ad network based on IP address. Local IPs get ads sold by the paper, while non-locals get AdSense or some other network's ads.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm assuming you're in SEC Country... In some instances, the Rivals coverage can be as good. ESPN is putting sites up in some SEC cities... The national sites all over the SEC enough that you're not going to miss too much if you can't read the local paper....

You're certainly not going to miss any news if you read Rivals and the national sites...

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I sat watching this Gannett Town Hall and wondered how things would be different if this was 1999 sted of 2012. I say give it a shot, it can't do any worse. Might as well try to get something out of the Web site.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It gets worse.

Look what Burlington is doing.

Is this happening Gannett sites?

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120222030

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

No, we're not switching formats but we've been told that a lot of things on the web will be not generally available free in the future.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"If newspapers were smart" is one hell of a conditional though. :D

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course, the Facebook comments, with a few exceptions, are whining that they're not going to pay. Well, it's not like the paper was getting any money out of them anyways.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Are papers making enough money from online advertising that the dreaded "but we'll lose clicks!!!!!!!" even matters?

Way too late for this, as others have noted, but the industry might've been in a hugely different place right now if this'd been done 10 or 15 years ago. Now the horse is long gone from the barn, and the barn is on fire, so replacing the door isn't as effective as it might once have been.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The answer is no, they are not. It's not even close. And when the site is free, they are creating a direct competitor for the print product, which does actually produce advertising revenue (although not near what it used to).

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, no reason to worry about crabby readers who aren't paying for the product anyway. We're not a library, we're news outlets.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The number of readers that pay isn't getting any bigger.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I read the Free Press as often as I can, because some of our towns are in Vermont. and once in a while I will find something ethere I did not know about.

It was easier with them free. The Rutland Herald is closer, but they have a pay wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted