1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett going to paywall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Guess I'll save my clicks for a select group of columnists, starting with Doc in Cincy. I have no ties to Cincy, but I like Doc's stuff.
    USAT could limit me to 15 clicks a year and I might reach that total by 2020.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I can read ESPN.com, SI.com, CBSSports.com, FoxSports.com for free, why would I spend a single cent on a paywall for any newspaper?

This might not have been the case 5-7 years ago, but it sure as hell is now...

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Our local Gannett paper has had a firewall for a good two months now.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My hometown paper has had one for a good stretch of time. I use my father's password to access it.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Just buying a better violin to play as the Titanic sinks.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

According to some on here, you're a thief for doing that.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

To me that's the same as sharing a newspaper -- either in the house or leaving it on the el.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love Doc's blog. But if I have to read it every other day and read two entries at a time, I'll do it before I give Gannett one rusty cent.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Delete cookies, you're a thief. Sharing passwords is just leaving the paper on a table. You have to love the word games that go with using digital content.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think the idea is to ask readers to pay for local content that you can't get anywhere else. At least that would seem to be the theory. Of course, to do that you'd actually have to have sufficient staff to produce enough local content to make it worth the reader's time and money. Looking around my newsroom, that seems to be a dubious prospect at best.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Another case of someone (or in this case a company) thinking they are the NY Times. Instead, they are just going to kill their online views in a hope that it increases their subscriptions. What a small world way to think, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted