1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett going to paywall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My phone isn't link-friendly, but story is on Forbes now. All papers except USA Today will allow 5-15 articles a month before cutting off non-subscribers. Better late than never I guess, but seems like a harder sell after gutting content.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These paywalls would have been a lot more effective before they took away almost every reason anyone would have with wanting to read a newspaper.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This experiment works better for outlets that actually provide content.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sign me up to subscribe to cops and courts briefs.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Here's the link from Forbes. Just says by the end of the year:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/02/22/gannett-building-paywalls-around-all-its-papers-except-usa-today/

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are they going to offer free bonus articles for vertically mainstreamed moments of life stories with passion topics?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's about damn time.
    I've said before that this is one of the things that can save newspapers, is a major chain like Gannett going behind the paywall. Not only does it finally make people pay for the product, by going companywide you have enough sites that you reinforce the notion they SHOULD pay for the product.
    Let's just hope it's not too late.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So I'll be reading even less Gannett output in the future?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. I remember when I worked at my now-former Gannett paper, several of us asked quite frequently why we weren't charging people to use the web site. We were told that "their research" showed that we wouldn't get enough pageviews to support advertisers, and it wouldn't affect the paper that much.

And all the while, circulation started going down, and all we got were more stupid ideas like Real Life, Real News, and constant e-mails asking for suggestions on how to get more readers to the newspaper.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Great news for my shop... since we compete online with a Gannett paper and TV station.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Use a proxy when you've reached your monthly limit and you can get around the paywall.

Draft saved Draft deleted