1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

And content producers. Words like editor and staff writer are verboten.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when it happens

rtse11 and bumpy mcgee like this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sounds like the hiring is happening - with this as the major driver of it all ...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Next up: News 2025!!!

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

You sure that isn’t supposed to read the entire Gannett workforce will be 50 people by 2025?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Any newsroom where I've worked has not had 22 percent BIPOC. Maybe 10. That's on the high end.

Woody Long and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

As a one-man sports department who has not been able to get a part-time hire approved for four years, should I be excited or nervous? I mean, anymore nervous than I already am on a Friday at the end of a pay period/month/quarter?

Batman, Woody Long and Liut like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I worked in a 50-50 town (Latinx didn't figure at the time) in the late 1990s and the newsroom had 3 POC total. The politics in that town were very interesting. The cops were white as hell too.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to work at a diverse newsroom in the first stop in my career. It really does make a difference having different voices/life experiences in the newsroom, and I don't even think they made a big deal about it. Granted it was the Bay Area, but I was kind of jealous about all my friends and colleagues heading off to Unity conventions. They sounded fun.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They say the paper will remain as a four-page daily.

I was confused by this. Will it be a four-page wrap around the D-G in that area?

They also said the PB pages will be in the statewide edition. I didn't understand that, especially if they're going to be a wrap around the D-G front page in the Pine Bluff area.

Could someone who's smarter than me explain?

Liut likes this.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Little Rock paper doesn’t actually print six days a week.* They do an e edition and provide subscribers with an iPad to read it.
    The PIne Bluff pages will be inserted into the replica edition in some fashion but probably as its own section. The Sunday paper is printed and I’d assume that the Pine Bluff pages will be a standalone edition stuffed inside Sunday.
    It is a misnomer to call it a sale as no money actually changed hands. Little Rock got the flag and liabilities and some assets, and any money they collect in past due bills will go to Gannett.
    Gannett keeps the building, which is reportedly the size of a city block, and one would assume it is for sale.
    gatehouse/gannett, which once owned nearly 40 papers in Arkansas is down to five.

* the Little Rock paper still prints a couple thousand papers daily but they are exclusively for retail locations. You can’t get home delivery there and the only print paper subscribers get is Sunday. It has struggled mightily as Sunday circulation was, circa 2010, around 290,000. It is now 34,000.

wicked and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted