1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. We all know these executives are rare talents and worth every penny they "earn." If they keep saying it, it must be true.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

This company's leadership is completely and utterly tone deaf with the fiscal and emotional stress they have placed on their employees

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

Sports Barf and Tarheel316 like this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

One of the great mysteries in American way of life is the value the business world places on the CEO. It's like they are gurus and have hypnotized everybody to think they are the end all for the company. They are geniuses. It is hilarious. They have the world in the palm of their hands. Somehow they are deemed the lords of industry and truth is they have overseen the ruination of so many industries like newspapers. Sick.
    Pay those CEOs and consultants. Money money money. And lay off the little man/woman.

5. MovingOnOut

MovingOnOut New Member

Meanwhile they're not paying mine on time. Pretty pathetic.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannett has not yet paid interest on their 1.8 million dollars loan. Their first interest payment of 125 million or so is in July. I suspect the company is not paying vendors in order to conserve cash.

Readallover likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Straight to Chapter 11? Bold move.

8. MovingOnOut

MovingOnOut New Member

I'm going to be really, really mad if I never see that money. Might not be a lot to them, but it is to me. Plus, there's just the principle of it.

Edit: Got it sorted out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Would you really be surprised? Do you think their leadership cares about principles? Mike Reed sure doesn’t.

10. MovingOnOut

MovingOnOut New Member

I don’t think they care about it but I’m going to fight for that money for the principle of it. I signed an agreement — you essentially gave me your word and you’d better honor that agreement.

And if you don’t, then I guess I can throw my part of the contract out the window.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That should surprise me, but I guess it doesn't.

Given my experience, it seemed cut and dried and automatic.

Was called into the Grim Reaper's office and got a document that said they wouldn't contest my unemployment, and they would add severance to be paid every week that when added to the unemployment, would equal my weekly salary for the given period (23 weeks).

Best of luck, and fuck everyone who is making it even a small issue.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In terms of the newspaper business, what the hell are shareholders getting from their CEOs? They're not making them any money. I'd think there would be some kind of revolt.

Draft saved Draft deleted