1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Gannett stock closed at $1.25 today.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Oh my.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

As hard as it is to fathom, the stock might actually be worse than the product now.

4. SJ fan

SJ fan New Member

The way things are going, a coronavirus check might be enough to buy the entire Gannett chain.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

They have already done some of that in my area as well. I didn't state my case very well. I firmly believe either 1) newsrooms will be gutted further, exacerbated by the virus, or b) whole sites will be shut down.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Lord.

I worked for about nine months in Jackson, Miss., back in 2003, 2004. There was a TV hanging near the employee entrance which showed the stock price.

Something like $90 a share back then ...

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

USA Today is pitched to travelers in hotels. Since no one is traveling I would think USA Today is seeing advertising declines. And recent history is once a newspaper advertiser leaves they do not come back. I wonder if USA Today makes it to Christmas.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell I'm wondering if any of us will.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, really.

10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

The whole company’s market value is $210 million today! A single major metro daily used to sell for about that amount a generation ago.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Think about how screwed the public will be without newspapers during crisis. This is going to be the new normal soon when all newspapers go out of business. The scare tactics of TV will be the only way to get news. As proven when snow is in the forecast and coronavirus, TV has shown its power again in the fact you can't buy toilet paper, eggs or milk anywhere. Sheer panic will reign when newspapers are gone thanks to the public not buying them and newspapers making bad decision after bad decision. Deadly combination.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the general consensus on January 1 that newsroom cuts would be happening in February and again later in the year? I have to believe this is simply going to multiply the number of job losses by the 100s, if not 1000s. I hope I am wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted