1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

This was a Lee shop, but I've had them at GateHouse as well. It's a thing.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In Fort Lauderdale we once had an ad slogan that read, "Required reading for the life you're leading."

Which we privately referred to as "Required reading because we went to the meeting."

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

GCI still bouncing off 52-week lows, but hasn’t yet climbed back into the $4s today. Buy the dip!

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would not buy the dip.

Gannett had EBITDA last year ran around 425 million dollars after you added back the non-cash losses, acquisition costs and the 89 million pension payout.

Buffett sold his newspapers to Lee for less than four times EBITDA (and Buffett financed the transaction for Lee and rand agreed to refinance over 400 millions of Lee debt at a lower interest rate).

Gannett has 2.3 billion dollars of long-term debt. So long-tern debt over five times EBITDA. One could argue that Gannett is underwater. I think that Gannett is going to pay the dividend of 66 cents a share for the next two years then go into Chapter 11. So I think the stock is worth no more than two dollars a share.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have been a part of that scenario more than once unfortunately.

7. Readallover

New 52-week low of $3.35 amid today’s market plunge. $12 buyout seems so long ago but only six months back. I doubt New Gannett will survive if this is the start of another 2008-09 recession.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The next chapter in the saga of The New Gannett: 11.

Batman likes this.
  9. Readallover

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Remember the CEO said that the company is 20% through a 300 million dollar cost reduction program so there is much more to come.

And a note to PMO: Best of luck to you in getting back into journalism. But don't take a job at Gannett. Your career expectancy with the company would be very low.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Agreed. Try your best to get into a privately held company not owned by hedge funds or incompetent chains. There are only a few out there, but those are the slowest sinking ships.

Tarheel316 and sgreenwell like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted