1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I read once where the downfall of Frank Howard as the Mets manager is that he was too much in love with meetings and the players rebelled. Apparently one guy said, "we had a game rained out and we had a meeting to go over the rain."

Tarheel316 likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jim Bouton wrote in Ball Four about how Mel McGaha, when he managed the KC A’s, once held a meeting on a Friday night during spring training. Players were upset because they had to leave their families or their dates, for the meeting. They show up, McGaha thanks them for coming, and says they’re not really having a meeting and that he just wanted to see how fast everyone could get together if they needed to on short notice.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I did have a boss once who said this would be a 25 minute meeting and if anyone wanted to stay and ask questions at the end they could. It was a 25 minute meeting and nobody stayed. Probably would have been a one hour meeting otherwise since people figure as such and will interrupt with questions. The questions at the end thing really works, because a lot of people think meetings are mainly there for people to listen to them. If everyone else leaves at the end, there is no point.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I once worked at a place where we would have a meeting to discuss what we would be talking about in the later meeting. The old pre-meeting meeting.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just got out of journalism and we seem to have meetings to discuss future meetings. And we’re not the suits.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Drove me insane.

We had an executive editor once whose answer for just about everything was a meeting. Lashed me over 18 inches when a woman from West Virginia didn't like a crack I'd made about a certain West By God town. He got fired, more or less, but got a golden parachute and then went to another good sized paper in the state.

Got the gas there, too.

I'm sure there were lots of meetings there, too.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If you absolutely have to have a meeting, that’s the way to do it.

8. Tarheel316

I dealt with crap like that when I worked in state government in South Carolina. Saw this group in a conference room and asked someone what was going on. The reply: they’re having a meeting to plan a meeting. I mean WTF.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Meetings are for the suits to show other suits they are actually in charge. There should never be a meeting in a newsroom. Some people have to work.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey! I worked at a Gannett shop, too!

11. Tarheel316

Agree 100 percent.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Back in the day, on Sundays instead of having a full-blown budget meeting, 3 or 4 of us would get together around the main copy desk and be done in about 5 minutes, if that. One Sunday, the editor happened to be in for something and he made us all go to the conference room and have a full-scale meeting. It took about 25-30 minutes and was a waste of time.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted