1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Traci Bauer was laid off in January.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My bad. Thought she went elsewhere in Gannett since then. Never mind.

3. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Posted on Poynter.org today:

"As for company-wide layoffs?

"Reed said that he did not know yet exactly how many there will ultimately be. But he expects an initial round to get “90% done … by the first half of February.” Company-wide, Reed has set a savings target of 8%, he continued, and “about 50% of our cost structure is people.”

"So roughly 4% of new Gannett’s 24,000 employees — about 960 — will probably be let go. Reed did not say whether newsrooms will have the same level of reductions as other departments or whether the first layoffs (as I have been told) could be coming this week.:

At Tennessean staff meeting, Gannett CEO Mike Reed discusses revenue, expenses and layoffs - Poynter

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Columbus OH had a few layoffs on Monday. Unsure of the number or department but I don't believe any were in editorial. The publisher left on the day the merger was announced.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Oh, do I miss the days when Ben Marrison was running the shop.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Is there even a paper left?

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Columbus was the canary in the coalmine. The first indication GateHouse was targeting Gannett and going head-to-head with the big dogs. Before that, GateHouse was content to snap up county dailies — even a few from old Gannett in places like Illinois — and cast off anything of size (for example, Vegas and the Stephens stake in NW Arkansas).

Boston was the declaration of war, as I posted before.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Checked Poynter to see if they had anything. I realize Romenesko left and has long retired, but damn now it's nothing but happy talk. I remember when it was a place where papers doing shady stuff were called out.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Layoffs continuing today; appear to be non-editorial so far - I.T. and circulation at my property

10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

NJ getting hit.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Here's a running list, it's lousy to say "bookmark it" but it will be updated. Shared with me by someone within the chain.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Abilene whacked their entire sales staff? WTF?

Draft saved Draft deleted