1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Maybe he’ll use that money for nice employee bonuses?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does anyone expect GannettHouse stock to rise? They've already burned the furniture to heat the house.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well, of course!

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, they’d buy more houses and burn their furniture, but Digital First has built a formidable backfire. Real estate is growing tight. There’s a few family owned targets out there where some Gen Y heirs can be money whipped.

5. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

"Digital First has built a formidable backfire."

Damn that's a great line.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Has this gentleman ever spent a day in an actual newsroom (other than when he was there to lay off reporters and editors, I mean)?

HanSenSE, Tweener and Severian like this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is that a proportion wheel in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I still have my pica pole. Heck of a back scratcher.

Dog8Cats and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Pica poles became obsolete as cake-cutters when they stopped having going-away parties for all of the employees who were laid off/took buyouts.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I bought one last year and have it taped to one of the monitors. Those things are expensive now, like $10 or $12.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Maybe this deal does not go down.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/new-m...ay-owner-gannett-is-hanging-on-for-dear-life/

Prominent Gatehouse investors are upset that the dividend is being cut by 50% to pay off the loan. The CEO of Gatehouse is telling investors he will sell off 200 million dollars of properties (to who?) and pay off the Apollo loan in three years.

The company claims that it will have "adjusted EBITDA" this year of 500 million. The word adjusted in this context is a synonym for padded. For example, in Gatehouse's definition of "adjusted EBITDA" they treat severance and reorganizations costs as a non-recurring cost. But why? The company fires people and reorganized as regularly as they pay the light bill. It is their business plan.

But we will use the 500 million dollar number. Interest on the new loan will be 300 million dollars a year. Revenues at Gatehouse and Gannett are declining at the rate of $300 million dollars a year. Do the arithmetic.

As for increasing revenues there is evidently a hiring freeze at Gatehouse. The Oklahoman's new OSU writer was supposed to start Monday but had his offer rescinded. Does this mean Oklahoma City will not have an OSU beat writer?

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They have one. It's Scott Wright. So instead of two they will have one.

Draft saved Draft deleted