1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett freezes employee pensions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by StaggerLee, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Might want to check with a financial advisor first. Gannett will match 100% of employees' contributions, up to 5% of pay. A 100% Return on Investment is pretty hard to beat in a Roth IRA, even if Gannett's stock does stink.

So I would contribute at least 5% to the 401(k) just to ensure the maximum match. And then you can change your investment selections each quarter to convert the GCI stock into some other Fidelity mutual fund.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

if you can convert the stock from CGI - with low expense ratio - then cancel what I said.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Baltimore. It would be stupid to bypass the 401(k) and the company match to open a Roth IRA. That should just be done in addition to putting in at least enough to get the maximum company match.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I left a Gannett paper, amid all the forms etc. and other b.s. you have to go through with HR, not once did anyone mention my pension benefits. It would still be sitting there if I didn't have a friend who used to work for Gannett ask me if I'd rolled my pension out of there. Oh yeah, the pension. And even when I did claim it, it was like pulling teeth.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

How many of your companies give 2.5 percent for your 5 percent 401K contribution?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Giving Gannett stock, or any newspaper stock, is like offering company match in Confederate dollars.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Unfortunately, company stock is the traditional way of fulfilling the company match.

On the plus side, it's much easier to dump Gannett stock from the 401(k) than it was dumping Enron stock.

8. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Guys,
    this is a no-brainer. Take the 100 percent match and then move it from Gannett stock to other investments offered within the 401k. It's dumb not to take the money or to say it's not worth anything just because it's Gannett stock. Money is money. Just move it.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

so, with the employee pension freeze and the recent economic report by Gannett, are they having a hiring freeze as well?

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You're correct. The pension freeze move is becoming pretty standard across all industries. I read a statistic a while back that approx. 2/3 of companies over a certain size (1,000 employees perhaps) offered a pension plan 10 years ago. The number that do today is less than 4 in 10.

A big reason for this was a change in the accounting rules that required recognizing on the income statement each year the expense accrued that year--which are really just paper dollars and not money paid out. This change left companies looking at huge loss numbers on their financial statements, so they slash the pension program. This is an instance where these changes may make sense from an accounting reporting standpoint, but the policy making beancounters didn't factor in what actions their changes would drive. And the impact it would have on, say, people.

Gannett, however, is not following the trend in terms of matching in comapny stock. Most companies are moving away, far away, from matching in company stock, a lesson learned from the Enron debacle.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Tax law and accounting rules changes are hitting people all over.
    If you get a company cell phone, you know have to count that as income.
    The changes in mileage make it practically impossible to claim the difference between company reimbursement and the federal rate.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Gannett probably works with Confederate money. It's part of their mainstreaming policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted