1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett exits Hawai'i, selling Honolulu Advertiser to Star-Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

We can only hope Gannett sells off as many as it can.......and not that those papers go under or folks lose their jobs. Just that evil Gannett leaves more cities to rescue them from the Gannett incompetence we all know and loathe.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless you're at USA Today, you don't want to be working at a Gannett paper.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Well damn. I wonder if Gannett sold the rights to their executive bungalow there?

Which would be worse to work for Mizzou, CNHI or Gannett?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, without a doubt Mizzou.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

It's a tie. :)

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

(bump)
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100603/BUSINESS/6030318/Star-Advertiser-to-have-450-workers

Final weekend for Star-Bulletin and Advertiser as separate papers. Consolidated staffs announced this past week. Among those from Advertiser moving to new paper in sports are columnist Ferd Lewis and UH football/blogger Stephen Tsai.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Good to hear Stephen got picked up. Selfishly, I hope my guy Wes Nakama was among the fortunate few.

8. midvalleysports

midvalleysports New Member

Heard that about 400 folks are losing their jobs with this merger. From a facebook site: Becoming a one-newspaper town due to David Black's takeover is simply horrific. Ian Rutka, an Advertiser advertising account executive, summed it up well when he said: "Basically, it's like the Los Angeles Clippers bought the Los Angeles Lakers and L.A. became a one-team city. Only they're keeping the Clippers players and not the Lakers players."

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

WOW. Not a lot of love between the Advertiser & Star-Bulletin folks apparently.

I mean, being compared to the Clippers is an insult, right?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never been there, but why on earth would Honolulu be a two-newspaper town? Is it that big or politically divided?

If two papers can't survive in Houston, Dallas, Seattle or Denver, why the hell Honolulu?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not totally in the know myself, but I would think just because it's such an isolated area? You would have two major papers in the state capital, then a handful of smaller papers on the other islands. It would give two editorial voices instead of essentially just one for the entire state.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I second that. Wes is as nice as they come and a top caliber sports journo.

Draft saved Draft deleted