1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett exits Hawai'i, selling Honolulu Advertiser to Star-Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100225/BREAKING01/100225069/1352

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/bulletin/85438317.html

Star-Bulletin to buy all Advertiser assets except the building.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That is amazing. I never thought the Star-Bulletin would last that long after the JOA died, let alone get Gannett to cave.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read on Gannett blog that in the company's latest SEC report they no longer refer to the company as a "leading" media company and now just say they are a media company. Figure they'll start selling every paper that they can't "cluster-ize" pretty quick.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What a sweet dish of karma. 15 years ago Gannett was gonna fold the Star-Bulletin, until the readers protested long enough for Conrad Black to step in. Now they're paddling off into the sunset.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Honolulu joins the ranks of one-newspaper towns, huh? Sad.

Hopefully they take care of the folks at the Advertiser ... lots of good people over there.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd expect about 50 Gannett papers to be sold or fold this year.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Why so many? And out of how many?

8. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I can see some being sold or folding. Gannett loves this cluster thing they're doing, though it hasn't been effective (re: Gannett Louisiana). Some of the more isolated papers might not fit in Big G's plans.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've talked for years about consolidating some of the papers they have in the cluster areas because they think they can take away one paper and then force another paper on readers, so they lose minimal revenue, while significantly cutting costs.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Interesting analysis here: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12048230

Gannett's out of the only market where it faced print competition and Black gets himself a like-new printing plant, as opposed to the old and decrepit one he had before this.

Given that Gannett itself has been a clusterfuck for as long as I can remember, it's no surprise that they love "the cluster thing."

Draft saved Draft deleted