1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett combining desks of N.J. papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don'w know if this is all of the papers Gannett owns in Jersey, cause I'm neither Gannett or an Easterner, but it's the Home News Tribune, the Asbury Park Press, the Courier News and the Daily Record.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/text-of-nj-group-memo-on-regional-copy.html :mad:

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Gannet combining desks of N.J. papers

Cherry Hill and Vineland remain outside the "regional desk"

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Gannet combining desks of N.J. papers

Does anyone remember when the Asbury Park Press was an ubelievable newspaper? Perhaps one of the best sports sections in the country -- certainly for a paper of its size?

And then about 10-12 years ago it was destroyed -- or roughly ten minutes after it was bought by Gannett.....

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I heard, among other things, the ME position in Morristown was eliminated and a man who has gotten high praise from a few people I know apparently is just out of a job.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Skip has been considered an idiot for a long time. While personally I don't like the move, I must admit I can see why it was done. I just wonder why did it take them so long?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A source at one of Le Grande G's Jersey shops told me that some employees heard the consolidation news not from their papers, but from Gannett blog. At another paper, some employees did not know anything until they came in yesterday to find a letter on their desk.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And I guess it's official. Nationwide layoffs are upon us. At least 5 papers with more than 60 positions axed this week.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/urgent-gannett-launching-stealth-round.html

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Aw fuck this shgit and this business. I got an offer to study to become a county coroner and damn it, that job looks like it might be my safety net.

Draft saved Draft deleted