1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett CEO gets 36% raise!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Sorry if I'm d_b'ing:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080313/dc_gannett_executive_compensation.html?.v=1

:mad:

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Keeping reading the story ... almost half of his compensation is worthless.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll repeat the line I heard from a friend in the business...

Gannett exists so there will be newspapers to read in hell...

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, the option portion is 'way underwater, and is unlikely to resurface, for the foreseeable.

Still, just think. Somewhere, a village is doing without, because they couldn't match/beat this deal.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wow, could a company send a worse message to shareholders AND the rank and file at the same time?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. But since when has Gannett cared anything about anyone other than its executives and the bottom line?

I hope a copy of this story hits the desk of every Gannett employee, along with an accompanying e-mail. Sure, work those extra hours, come in and do that story on your day off as we continue to cut and cut and cut employees. ... ... ... But know that we're going to pay someone else for your work.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Working for Gannett makes you an enabler.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seeing how my local Gannett paper physically shrank three weeks ago, the CEO absolutely deserves it. He's gotta be saving a fortune in newsprint ::)

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Gannett CEO got a raise so Gannett can pay their stringers an hourly rate below minimum wage.

10. What, he didn't waste enough of their money on the new newseum?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gannett stock was $60 a share, and is now $29.97. So the largest newspaper chain lost half its value in a year.

Shudder down the spine.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm glad to see someone will be able to live comfortably after the whole industry vaporizes in the next couple years

Draft saved Draft deleted