1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett CEO earned $3.1 million last year: including $875k bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

He didn't need to make that.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the deal with "Content One" is with the NCAAs? Supposedly Gannett was going to make a major push with it during the tourney, but the local website has minimal content - the largest NCAA features are ads. Kind of surprised.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ContentOne version March Mania has been up and running since last Tuesday on all Gannett sites. It's nothing special. Just a bunch of crap ass widgets from CBS sportsline and twitter feeds and stories from USA Today. Readers know it is re purposed garbage and local sites aren't getting the clicks. God knows where they are going.

Also, I've noticed many of the sites. Wait, all of the sites I've seen, don't have ads!

I thought the point of Content One was to sell ads nationally. Guess they couldn't pull it off.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

As I understand it, the $29 million golden parachute is payable in a number of scenarios to include liquidation of the company.

If that's true, then driving the company into the ground so then it has to liquidate and sell off whatever assets it can , he walks away with the $29 million. That's a pretty good individual motivation to fail.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Why shouldn't he get a bonus? He works just as hard as those varsity CEOs whose companies make money.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I could live for six or seven years on Craig Dubow's bonus.

Fairly comfortably. In an expensive part of the country.

Seriously.

And I would be doing it on more than I've ever made in my life.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Eight or nine years. Real comfortably.

So I guess I'm seeing your "six or seven" and "fairly comfortably" and raising you. ;)

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

I don't care if it's a 90 percent paycut. There is no justification for taking that much $$ home when you have just forced the rank and filers to take a week unpaid, laid off thousands and will do it all over again before the year is over.

The so-called content producers (aka writers and reporters) have been replaced by Content One, Ripple6 and Metro Mix. The way to transition to the web isn't to replace the meat with whipped cream.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

All Is knows is this. I hope Marshall Morton enjoys the money I'm missing today from my furlough days.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Eight or nine years. Real comfortably.

So I guess I'm seeing your "six or seven" and "fairly comfortably" and raising you. ;)

[/quote]

Bump you two years, now at 10-11.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

You only write about us when our company is failing!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted