1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett CEO earned $3.1 million last year: including $875k bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The payment was for Chris Saridakis's stake in the Ripple6 software company. Saridakis is the chief technology guy for Gannett. His stake was around 10 percent.
    Ripple6 is some sort of social network software, but I don't have a clue as to what it does.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nothing like paying $78 million for part of a company that people in the industry don't know what it does.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Gannett is the devil. Working for them is Hell.

They care about nothing but those who kissed butt on the way to the top.

4. As I sit at home this week on my furlough, this warms my heart.

See you in hell, Craig.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just a slight correction. The $78 million was for the whole company, and Gannett's tech guy got $7.8 million as a one-time payment.
    That's in addition to the $1.1 million or so he makes a year from Gannett.
    And can any run this through the dooleyfish translator because I have no idea what it means.
    ripple6.com for more technobabble ...

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

If you go to their Web site (address posted above by Jay) and go to "About us," you'll see this quote along the side ...

"Ripple6 helps us empower moms in local communities across the U.S. by providing them with easy-to-use, specialized social media tools. We also benefit through Ripple6's unique analytics and insights, which help us understand what’s happening within our communities and what topics moms are passionate about. The Ripple 6 platform will allow us to seamlessly offer moms nationwide the benefits of local networking."

— Peter Lundquist, Gannett

Evidently, it's for their "Moms Like Us" sites, which are basically (from what I understand) message boards where moms in Gannett communities can talk to each other about Mom stuff, whatever that is.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Read this before bashing Dubow. He took a 60 percent hit.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003953260

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What is it with Gannett and Moms? First it was (cityname)moms.com, which was a glorified message board and mailer to some subscribers. Now this. It's almost creepy.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Dubow has a $29.9 million golden parachute - more than everyone posting in this thread will make combined in their lifetime many times over.

So I don't exactly pity him.

Instead of worrying about a guy who took a 60 percent cut down to $3.1 million, I'm more concerned about the guys making $35K facing furloughs, pay cuts and a possible job loss.

Those multi-million dollar CEOs and executives usually have an easier time finding that next job - or don't even need another one after getting a golden parachute worth more than I'll make in 20 or 30 lifetimes.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How about the guy making $25k who has to pay rent, car insurance and payback student loans.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are we bidding down? I can go lower :(

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

What we're witnessing is one of the downsides to capitalism.

It breeds competition but also greed for those with misplaced ideals. The motivation to see more dollar signs replaces that to do good work and serve a real purpose.

Now I don't want the CEO's money to come to me. I'm not rich, but I'm surviving. I'll find a way to make it.

Instead, use more to reinvest in the company and its future. Use it to hire additional qualified people, notably videographers, to supplement the print product. That would give our readers higher-quality videos instead of something we're having to half-ass because we're not properly trained nor really interested with everything else already on our plate.

No, by all means, Mr. CEO, continue getting $875K in bonuses and bringing home 100 times more than most of the people slaving away for your company. Proves what kind of a leader you really are. Honestly, I'm not surprised to see the company crumbling under such leadership.

Draft saved Draft deleted