1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys school paper..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Aug 3, 2006.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

What? A newspaper with a conservative leaning?

How refreshing from the other 95 percent of publications in this country (leaning way left as I type that, FYI).

You go, FSU.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And the student paper had a bit of a conservative bentboy, times must have changed since my day. students called it 'the flaming liberal.'

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The frat geeks and other student government types got started a competitor to the Flambeau, which eventually bought out its older rival.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I wonder if they tried or will try to buy UF's paper, then.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Might try, but my understanding is that the Alligator is on stronger financial ground than FSU's paper.

6. First of all, this paper is for profit unlike the Alligator.. which is "independent," but still is involved with the school in some regard, therfore making it much mroe difficult to buy... Secondly, the Flambeau was in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt due to the slanderous liberal commentaries they ran on the front page: One comes to mind about a girl who won a fraternity paegent and the flambeau wrote an article about how she was a "slut" and "trash"... So to purchase the Flambeau, all the FSView people had to due was relieve the intelligent hippies at the Flambeau of their enourmous debt caused by business and local organizatinons boycotting advertising.
    So those "frat geeks" maybe weren't so bad after all.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Thanks for comin' out, frat geek.

8. Nice post.. It compliments well with your other posts on this thread where you claim to know what you're talking about - and when you are called out on it, that's all you've got. Go pretend you know something about the paper at Millsaps College and maybe no one will figure it out.

9. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

Nothing good can come of this. Nothing good comes from G unless you've been brainwashed.

10. Al_Czervik

Al_Czervik Member

I can't imagine this is anything more than an opportunity for the Tallahassee Democrat's advertising department to make more money. Package ad deals in the Democrat and the college paper; link the online classifieds to both papers; this is all that matters.

The editorial content won't be touched -- and if it is, it will hardly be noticed.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

My favorite quote in the article...

"one of the strongest student newspapers in the country."

Is that a joke?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

They probably think so, but since FSView bought out the Flambeau, the combined paper has published twice a week.

It's probably not even one of the strongest in the state anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted