1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys iPhones, iPads, etc., for its journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Nope, that's what they bought US Presswire for, the iPhones are for the assignments that aren't cool enough for those willing to supplement $15k-20k worth of camera gear for the "opportunity" to get their name in print and tell their friends they've been on the NFL sidelines, and don't forget that awesome pregame meal!

2. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Sure you can. The phone is your personal property. It's an everyday phone.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Try telling the Gannett goons that after they lay you off and want your "personal property" back. Or if there's some brouhaha where you mess up and they want to see what you've been doing on "your" phone.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's a work phone. You wouldn't be allowed to use it by the strictest legal definitions. But we've never had work phones taken away because it's generally acknowledged that employees aren't expect to have a personal cell phone if they don't want one.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

It's a personal phone used for work. I'm holding one in my hand.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

All depends who buys the phone doesn't it...unless Gannett just popped for personal gifts to its staffers.

I buy my phones and get a small stipend -- a portion of my cell bill -- the phone is used about 60-40 for work, but since I purchase the phones they are my property.

If Gannett is buying the phones and assigning them to staff, I would think they remain Gannett property to be shifted to another employee when/if you leave.

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

You might think that. You would be wrong. It cost me $0. It is my phone. I have a PIN that keeps anyone else from using it. I was told directly it is "my personal property." The guy who sat next to me before leaving paid $0 for his. He took his with him when he left.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Depends on the company. If the company purchased the phones for its employees, it's well within its rights to expect they be returned upon request. Your company is apparently more generous than most.

The iPad and laptop I received at my current job are in no way my property, nor were the property of the guy who had them before I did and had to give them back before he left.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised...but that's great...enjoy!!!

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If your Gannett boss pays for your iPhone or iPad, it belongs to them and is for professional use primarily. Why is that so hard to understand?

I've been through several furloughs and the message has been very clear from the top down---don't perform any work related to your job---no phone calls, no interviews, no writing copy, no visits to the office, and don't even log on to your work email.

Capiche?

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

When they told you it was your personal property, more than likely they were saying that you lose it or break it, you pay for it.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

For some reason, this thread popped into my head today. Wondered if Gannett was still providing the phones and if any of those who had them had experienced issues over the "who owns the phones" problems. Does anyone know if reporters provided with phones have been required to step up their photo output?

Draft saved Draft deleted