1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys iPhones, iPads, etc., for its journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but was there an open bar at the Christmas party? [/Patch.com]

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This. If you're a photog at a Gannett paper, you're in deep shit.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bet your butt I'm in our editor's office on the first business day after Jan. 1, suggesting we need to do likewise.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely shocked that Gannett bought the iPhones and iPads instead of insisting their employees pay for them themselves.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

At my last shop, I remember the photo editor pushing to get iPhone 4s so the reporters could get usable art for assignments the photographers couldn't get to.

I also remember one of the photographers saying, "What is he stupid? We're all going to be out of a job."

Half the photo staff got laid off four months later.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Annie Liebovitz on the Today Show the other day said it's her favorite camera at the moment.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair, a single golden parachute for an executive is probably equivalent to as many open bar Christmas parties as you want to have. You know, $22.5 million to $37 million: http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-dubow-gets-if-disability-forces.html - Even in the newspaper industry, executive compensation is absolutely fucking insane.

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

in most pro dressing rooms its iPhones: yes, still cameras: no

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

More spite for the face before more bones and organs are chopped off?

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

To be fair, though, if we all rip them for not taking advantage of current technology and not being willing to spend money to get the state-of-the-art equipment in the hands of their employees, then for the flipside, they do deserve some credit for spending a shit-ton of money on stuff like this.

A buddy at my former G shop said their EE sent out a memo detailing all this, and at the end, he advised that anyone thinking about buying a new iPhone or iPad may want to wait, because there's a good chance they'll have one to use for free.

All that said: I agree, majority of the photographers are dead men (and women) walking ...

Draft saved Draft deleted