1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not to be a management stooge, but I figure one reason managers are retained is that they are salaried, while others are eligible for OT. I imagine they all work well over 40 hours a week.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Vivid imagination

Doc Holliday and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Do they keep getting their bonuses?

4. DanOregon

Haven't been in a G paper for awhile - just figured that was the strategy.

5. Are the hourly employees being paid OT? Probably not.

6. DanOregon

Again - I'm just talking about the legalities. You can work a salaried employee as many hours as you wish and not be liable for OT. Hourly employees you are.
    Good thing Gannett didn't have a problem with reporters writing fiction when they turned in their timecards.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ah, my days as a #2 on a two-man staff (and thus "hourly") ... six 10-14 hour days in a row and putting 40 hours on my time card week after week, with the promise of "comp time."

If anyone complained about the fact that I was really, really, really scarce in the office during the summer, I just reminded them how many times I'd been asked to lie on my time card.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannet revenues are down about eight percent. The budget for profits and the salaries of the upper echelon are not going to be cut. So one can safely say that the rest of the budget will be cot by larger amount than eight percent.

I do wonder when we reach the point that chains start to close papers.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a name I haven't heard since he was writing for the University of Tennessee student newspaper, which I was reading every morning waiting for Anthropology class to start.

10. DanOregon

Anyw
    My guess is we're going to see more "remote management" with top editors overseeing multiple publications. Most pubs have already been stripped of all their operations except the newsroom. Maybe layoffs in the design hubs? They aren't growing anywhere and are running out of places to cut. More than a few Gannett properties are being challenged by local startups.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Some folks have called Fredrick a liar for his take on working 60 or 70 and getting paid for 40. Some of us have donated a lot of money to companies over the years. I can't believe you told them you lied on your time card. One thing is the suits don't want to hear that. The suits make you work 60-80 hours and get paid for 40 but you by signing the time card admit no such thing. I'd think you'd be reprimanded/fired for telling them you actually lied on the time card.

12. DanOregon

As opposed to submitting a timecard with all of that OT and refusing to change it?

twinsfan1424 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted