1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Never worked for Dave Smith and never met the man (aside from receiving a rejection letter after applying for a job on the Morning News' sports desk). But I can only imagine how he would have reacted if the design of the sports section he spent years building into a powerhouse had been outsourced to GateHouse on his watch.

3. bevo

bevo Member

I think the Jackson Sun still prints despite being 90 mikes from Memphis.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannett just bought Memphis so we will see how long that lasts. One reason I ask is that combined operations will lead to the death of many fine papers. First a design center is created, then lots of content sharing appears and then the printing plant is closed. After that the websites are combined. Then the editorial staffs are combined and pretty soon you have one newspaper, not two.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Work in Wisconsin and for the Wausau Daily Herald in Wausau they are moving printing operations to Green Bay. Press people will be looking for work.

6. LanceyHoward

Is Gannett still running seperate websites in Wausau and Green Bay? Have they started to combine the Green Bay and Milwaukee sports desk?

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Yep separate websites. Green Bay/Milwaukee has its own sports reporters but papers papers are part of a design hub in Des Moines as is Wausau/Central Wisconsin sites also part of that. Producers (copy editors with a fancy name that also web stories, promote stories) edit stories from all the sites after editors at the specific sites. I am not sure if MJS copy desk is around yet.

8. LanceyHoward

I know Lee owns Madison but what is the next largest newspaer in Wisonsin not owned by Gannett?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I believe Racine Journal Times or La Crosse Tribune both I believe owned by Lee.

10. LanceyHoward

Thanks. Foe what it is worth I don't think Gannett will buy Lee. Lee has to much debt and is underwater.

11. bevo

bevo Member

So I guess Memphis is officially moving its printing operations to Jackson. I would have guessed it would be the other way around. Memphis must have some old presses.

The Commercial Appeal to be printed in Jackson, Tenn.

12. LanceyHoward

I would have thought that to. Which leads me to wonder how low the circulation has gotten in Memphis that Jackson can handle their press run, even with newer presses. And I just love the quote about improving the reader experience for the Memphis reader because Jackson has better color capability. How many Grizzly gamers will not make it into the paper because of earlier deadlines?

Draft saved Draft deleted