1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Plus trying to fill Curt Cavin's shoes. That's a big task in itself.

2. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Sorry, jr/s, didn't want to have that effect. It is certainly possible to escape that hell. I was in that age range when the executioner got me. It happened about 10 a.m.; by the time I got home, I'd been contacted about a freelance assignment — and ended up with a fulltime job there a couple of months later. That held me over until I could exit the business on my own terms.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just found out a friend and longtime Cincinnati Enquirer photographer was one of the casualties this week. He was named the paper's best photographer of this past year (could have been for any year, really) and had gotten high praise from upstairs a few times the past months.

He got a telephone call -- A FUCKING TELEPHONE CALL — to tell him he was being let go.

Fuck Gannett and their "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!" bullshit.

4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The whole 2 percent across the board thing was BS. Gannett's Bob Dickey sent email about how pivotal the acquiring of tronc was and then the deal falls through and still let people go. Also there was a producer, our watchdog 'coach' and an ad big-shot were let go where I work. Our exec. says tough thing about this is it wasn't performance related. Well, none of them typically are unless the entire business losing money being blamed on newsroom employees. Just a joke.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An old colleague of mine is the Indy Guild president and I just don't know how he can stand it.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This appears to be hitting the staff at the Bergen Record, which Ganett just bought and appears to be rolling up into thier other properties in the area. After these layoffs will anyone be left from the previous ownership or will the staff have been largely gutted?

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't think Bergen has been allowed to hire during the bloodletting, so there hasn't been a sell high, buy low sort of strategy yet. The Bergen folks I know hoped they'd absorb some of the smaller northern Gannett properties, bolstering those shrunken newsrooms.

But this reads like the Asbury Park Press, the site of the nearest design studio, is going to maintain regional control of reporting as well.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A serious question. Is any Gannett paper published independently within 120 miles of another newspaper in the chain that also independently publishes?

Draft saved Draft deleted