1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett being Gannett, again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Feb 18, 2015.

1. EddieM

EddieM Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Odd? No.

1. By terming it an "internship", even though they're looking for someone already out of college, they can eliminate anyone experienced because they don't fit,a role of an "intern". Also allows them to age discriminate.

2. It's Cincinnati. Washburn is the queen of corporate bullshit.

3. It's Gannett. It's another buzzword. A perfect fit.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

FYI, Seattle Times has also done this with two-year reporting "residencies".

4. EddieM

EddieM Member

Yes. And Houston Chronicle has a similar program. The difference (from my perspective, anyway) is that Gannett's description doesn't seem to pretend that these are positions from which they hope young reporters learn and advance. It just seems like a cheap way to get year-in, year-out young guns to fill out the roster.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I think San Diego UT and the Star Tribune in Minneapolis have done this too.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I don't find the concept odd, but we could debate the phrasing. I believe Seattle has a couple of three-year residencies open right now and I know a few people who have applied. I suppose you could consider the Steelers beat opening posted on the Jobs forum as a similar deal, though it does say there's a chance it becomes more permanent like it did in Syracuse.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I imagine the "internships" or "residencies" or whatever semantic you want to use basically rules out anyone with families (unless they simply don't mind uprooting their kids every year or two)

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Given the instability of employment, particularly in journalism, that's no different from any regular, full-time job. In fact, if there's an actual one-year contract involved, the internship could have better job security than a regular, full-time job.

I don't know about now, but the Seattle residency used to pay a semi-decent wage and offer benefits. Gannett also used to offer benefits to part-timers; the ad doesn't specify how that works for the full-time intern.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If the local hiring person was brassy enough, they could hold onto who they wanted. Some no doubt weren't with the program and felt like keeping the long-tenured folks. Had a friend who was surprised some of the intransigent older folks kept at his shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted