1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett announces furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cmon. All managers know their NFL writers and MLB writers and college football writers during the season are working 80 and being paid 40. That's not legal either to allow that to go on. And what about this taking one furlough day here or there? That's ridiculous as well. Take them all in a row, folks.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

About the furloughs, you are dead wrong. That's all I am saying. If you are hourly, you can (or at least could) choose to take the Gannett furloughs one day at a time, spread out, or all at a time. In my experience, it was the employee's choice. You don't get to say their decisions about one at a time or all at once is "ridiculous." But it was non-negotiable that NO work could be done while on furlough. No nod-nod, wink-wink understanding.

If you have any first-hand knowledge, that's one thing. But you don't, you are playing the "what's to stop" game about everything you can think of, whether it's valid or not.

You have proof you have been wronged and treated illegally? Step up and go to a lawyer.

3. GAWalker

GAWalker Member

The remaining vets at my shop are highly recommending the individual day route for everyone. Take every Wednesday for a month and throw in a three-day weekend to save the hardship of a half-paycheck.

Baron Scicluna and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fredrick is wrong, and has clearly never been put on furlough before.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And check in with unemployment today to see what your options/benefits are there.

GAWalker and PaperDoll like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Frederick has made three different posts today mentioning working 60 hours and getting paid for 40, 65 for 40, 80 for 40. I wish I knew which it really was. Sounds Presidential, say something, say it again with embellishment, say it again embellishing even more -- good to great to tremendous. Freddie is actually not wrong, just redundant for years.

Tweener, HanSenSE, Screwball and 2 others like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's annoying, because I'm often with him on the 'management is snakes!' thing. But management is awful enough at plenty of these places without needing to make shit up or embellish. Kind of similar to the crazy leftish shit in the politics thread.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Frederick is like one of those old toys where you pull the string to make them say a phrase.

He's limited to three phrases, they're all repetitive, and everyone gets sick of hearing it after two or three pulls.

9. Fredrick

Hit the company where it hurts. Take it all at once and get unemployment for the week missed per month.

10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

The bot is broken.

11. Fredrick

Too many people on here do what journalists always do. Accept horrid treatment! I'm just trying to let the suits know their behavior is truly despicable. See, journalism is in a good reporter's DNA. That reporter is working for many reasons and none should be to please suits who treat reporters so poorly. I have to be the one voice.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Except you clearly have no idea how furloughs work and you're not offering anything helpful.

Every single working journalist knows firsthand that the suits don't care about human beings, that journalists are overworked, that overtime is a myth when it shouldn't be, and that the industry is at an all-time low in worker treatment and morale. We're past needing to be aware of the issue. Offer something constructive, if that's even in your programming.

Fredrick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted