1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett announces furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It is part of life, trying to figure out what the typos are supposed to say. It makes it doubly tough when the typo spells another word, and triply tough when the bad word's meaning changes the context of the sentence. People have become crappy writers and don't check their work. I communicate with a friend and I have to read her messages 5 or 6 times to figure out what they mean. I've become a sloppy writer, too, but I do check my work before I hit the button.

I remember back in the days of proofreaders. They didn't check for context, just misspellings. This one got through. A baseball player was complaining about not getting an opportunity to play. The story was supposed to say that he spent the whole season on the "bench." In the paper, it came out that he spent the whole season on the "beach." The writer was pissed. Everybody else thought it was hilarious.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Berry Tramel doesn't understand what furlough means, or maybe does and doesn't care, but probably shouldn't put it out there either way

Berry Tramel: Furlough went well

"I also interviewed a few people – not many – for future stories. If that’s considered breaking the rules, I’ve got no chance. And I listened to the Mike Gundy and Joe Castiglione teleconferences and even asked Gundy a question, even though I had good intentions of not. How could I resist with that kind of content?"

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Geez and you folks thought Fredrick was lying. See ... wink wink nudge nudge. You tell me what he did was not totally illegal. And the newspaper according to some of you can get in big trouble for this. See ... I told you the hard working sports writer would work on future stories during furloughs. Why why why do you doubt me so much?? I am not an idiot!! This is just what I said sports writers, good ones would do during fueloughs. His work was all on the house, gratis.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This report was published? Why? How many readers wanna know what the writer did on furlough? Publish NEWS.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It was part of his blog on their website.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can tell you this: I am on furlough next week and I have been told not to do one single work action. I will comply.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He does work for Gannett.

Also, did I miss a post? What does Guerin Emig have to do with this?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Most definitely. I work for a Gannett paper and my computer will be stowed in a closet next week. I'm even removing my work email from my phone.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sorry, I crossed my wires. Never mind.

Deleted the post because I am an idiot who can't do 2 things at one time. Often can't do 1 thing at a time.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Answer please: To those of you who don't believe reporters in sports are used to working 60 and getting paid 40. Do you believe Fredrick now after reading that reporter being so loyal, hardworking and yes, addicted to work, to just having to work while on furlough -- for free?? He's gladly donating work to his news organization free last week. Just as you can bet the reporter has worked 70 and been paid 40. Depending on his age, that's a lot of $$ donated to the CEOs during the years just to keep a job. News reporters are not doing that folks, just the "toy department" folks. That reporter deserves kudos.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Gannett puts the onus on the employee to not work. Nobody picked up company-issued tech, or even locked out logins of people on furlough. If an employee doesn't log into any systems -- and email and social media are available on phones, no password necessary -- I'm not sure how anyone would know work was being done, unless s/he admitted it.

12. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Fredrick -- You honestly believe that news reporters are not donating time to chase stories during this crisis? Wheels calls Fucking Bullshit on that. There are plenty of news reporters working 60 and getting paid 40 (or getting the false promise of comp time) to embed with first responders or document how workers or everyone is trying to survive during a global meltdown?
    Sure as shit I know those who cover campaigns (when those existed a month or two ago) worked 70 hours a week, often going between 2-3 states, and were lucky if they got paid for 48-50.
    If I was an unemployment official handling Barry Tramel's request (if he did put one in) I would ask him how many hours he ended up working for the Oklahoman last week and deduct that from the claim. Barry should have spent those hours helping his family or others and then listened to the recordings when he came back from furlough.
    And if Fredrick also believes right now there aren't some reporters -- sports, news, features or otherwise -- claiming 40 hours a week during this pandemic and might get off their ass to work 10, I have a nice piece of bridge property to sell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted