1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett-anigans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The numbers of people taking these buyouts probably reflects more than a fear of what they may or may not get if they decide to hang around and wait until the next round of layoffs.

It's indicative of just how sick of everything people are getting. You get to the ages, and stages in the careers, of such people, and it's like, "You know what? Who needs this?"

I'm guessing a good number of them probably don't, really, anymore. Hence, they're leaving.

It's no longer just about age, and targeting, and people knowing and being mad/insulted that they're the ones being targeted. People are being offered the "option," and they're willingly -- and maybe even happily -- taking it.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I would love to know who alerted Romenesko about Khristopher's blog posts. Someone who may have tried for that job in the first place going "hmmm... maybe if I get him fired..."

Naaa, who am I kiddin? It's Gannett. Not surprised.

3. Dealt with Jhris during one of his internships. Nice kid but a little odd. That press release is BY FAR the best thing I've ever seen him write. So apparently his skills have improved, his judgment needs some work though. Fireable? Maybe not. Unnecessary? Absolutely.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How would he know if he was violating the rules if he hadn't even started working there yet?

5. Baron Scicluna

And then when the newsrooms don't hit their targets for verticals and passion topics and other stupid shit, the execs then start whining about how they have to do better. Rather than look in the mirror themselves.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a fan of his. Who wouldn't choose the reporter in a reporter v. Gannett battle? But as a hiring manager myself (and a pretty good judge of talent, if I do say so myself) I had alarm bells after reading his "press release" and full-on klaxon going off after reading this column in HuffPo.

The guy appears to be a bubble off. Often, that can make for a good reporter; but I get the sense here it just makes for an ongoing headache.

To wit:

I was at a loss for words. When I finally spoke I said, "Well, can I just take it down? I know Romenesko's cell number. I can have him take it down, I'll take mine down, this never happened."

Umm, everyone above the age of 7 these days knows once it's on the Net, it's in stone for life.

And this:

Could I have called my family and told them over the phone? Probably, but that meant also calling all my former colleagues across the nation, at the Bristol (Va.) Herald Courier, The Associated Press, the Omaha World-Herald and Central Michigan University.

Again, a clear lack of understanding social media circa 2012. Not to mention, why do you feel the need to tell everyone you've ever met that you landed a job?

[​IMG]

7. Baron Scicluna

Maybe because he thought his family, friends, and colleagues would like to know that he got a job after a four-month job search?

I thought he wrote that pretty well, although I wasn't too crazy about the Zimmerman reference. Didn't see the relevance there.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Common sense.
    I'm an arrogant asshole, but even I wouldn't do something like this. It's no different than when Mary Reynolds sits in the box too long on a homer over the Monster, or when a Shawne Merriman does the Lights Out dance after a sack, or when DeShawn Stevenson stares down an opponent after dunking on him.
    He got a nice job, but he's not an APSE winner and that paper in Delaware isn't the NYT. Be humbled by the experience and tell everyone you got the job the same way everyone else in the world does - a simple blog post, a tweet, a Facebook post or, gasp, a fucking phone call.
    He can say he wasn't doing it for attention, but speaking as a guy who likes to do things to bring attention to how great he is, he was doing it for attention. Of course he's going to say he wasn't, but that's because he screwed up. He sounds like a braggart and we know our own.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Baron, you're hanging on for dear life, but I have the feeling even you are really kind of wondering whether this was really a very good idea on his part, Gannett or no Gannett.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If you're 27 years old, with a masters degree, all the newspaper experience he has and a loud-and-proud Chips Quinn Scholar, and still don't realize that doing things like putting the newspaper's logo on your own blog, and you don't know that an offer letter is a confidential document that you don't quote your future boss from, then you need more education and experience.

That's common sense, and he shouldn't have to have that spelled out for him that it's against the rules. No one ever specifically told me that I can't come to work with my dick hanging out of my pants, but somehow I've known not to do that.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And now we have showing up to work nude equated with a silly, harmless blog entry.

Might as well lock the thread. No way out of this hole.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

In a sense, they are equal. Both are things that any smart, experienced, college-educated person should know not do to.

I don't think what he did merited his firing, but like was said earlier, the "we can take it down" answer he came up with showed he still has a lot to learn.

If I was his boss, I'd worry about how well he would get along with co-workers, after they read what (in my opinion) was an incredibly pompous and ego-driven description of his talents. "The Big Three"? Please. And I'd wonder what the next "I didn't know I couldn't do that" moment would be from him.

I'm interested in Moddy's take on this. If you hired someone and they did the exact same thing, what would your reaction be?

Draft saved Draft deleted