1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett-anigans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I would now like to clarify this.

Understanding corporate dickheads, I know why this happened.

I do NOT agree with firing him. Needed to make that clear.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I thought it was idiocy.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's quite an unfriendly approach. And vulgar.

He violated the rules, he's gone. Do I think it could have been handled better and short of firing, yes.

But the company decided to handle it the way it did.

I thought he came off as incredibly cocky. (No, that's not a firing offense, but publishing private communications could be.)

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Vulgar? Get over yourself. Oh, and fuck, by the way.

And if he comes off as cocky, you definitely come off here and on many other threads like you have a giant stick up your ass.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If it is true, Sean definitely hasn't checked out of his job, which is a good thing. As MileHigh said, he had a recent column and has been Tweeting some. Not that it's difficult to type 140 characters, but I could understand anyone being frustrated by a situation like this and not trying as hard. His professionalism is showing that's not the case.

https://twitter.com/#!/focosportsed/

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

What happened, in Khris' own words:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/khristopher-brooks/reporter-fired_b_1421275.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I am who I am. I am an old-school curmudgeon who reacts the way I feel. I have seen a lot of changes over 30 years, many of them negative. The lack of civility is one of those things.

I think everyone oughta have the right to speak their opinion and not get told to "fuck you." That's just common courtesy.

I did just check and did not find a stick.

(Oh, no assumption on your age. You may be my age, I don't know. You're certainly as cranky as I am sometimes).

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe Brooks can get a better gig than Wilmington with his sudden fame. How much would Wilmington pay?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You know what, though?

After all the crap, he's likely going to wind up in a better place anyway.

And he'll get hired by someone who knows what they are getting and appreciates his style.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

See, that's what I don't understand, Stitch. He says it's more money than he's ever made in his life, but I cannot imagine it's more than $30,000. I know Gannett papers (a little smaller) that start folks in the mid-20s.

He is, after reading his piece, a pretty good catch if you want a minority journalist with some chops.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He worked in Omaha. I would bet folding money he made more than $30K there.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Were any of those other jobs full-time or were they internships, part-time, etc.

OK, it's bigger than I thought (80,000).

I know of a 25,000 that was offering $25,000 for a reporter with some experience.

But I still can't imagine it's any more than $35,000, maybe, just maybe $40,000.

Just doesn't seem like that would be a great-paying paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted