1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett-anigans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That would be $37 F'N Mil, according to HufPo.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hopkins, I think, revised it down to $32M. Something about stock options not being worth as much as thought, or some bullshit like that.

My heart weeps for him.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Sheesh, how's he gonna feed his family?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I really don't give a rat's ass what happens at Gannett anymore. It's their own fault. They created the mess; they can live with it or clean it up. Whatever.

I came close to taking a job at one of the design hubs and might yet someday, but if I do it will be with my eyes wide open and of my own choosing. Anyone who wants to get out should. Anyone who thinks there is nothing else out there besides Gannett --- besides journalism in general -- is kidding themselves. You are only as held hostage as you choose to be.

5. You are good people on this board. I've read your rants for years, but I've also detected a lot of heart. Could any of you walk away with $32 MIL with the knowledge that thousands of jobs were eliminated and families were destroyed to raise that cash?

You almost get the urge to draw a parallel between BrokeBack and, say, some of the hideous dictators the world has seen in the last century. No, BrokeBack did not, himself, exterminate tens of thousands, but he and his cronies were at the root of an investor-propping-up campaign that, first, eliminated thousands of jobs and, second, they turned their backs as the domino effect took hold: domestic turmoil, excessive drinking, drug use, crime, ruined families, the precipitation of cancers, suicides. ...

All because investor Edward DeWannaMore in Louisville wasn't seeing 20 percent return on his investment. He was seeing only 10 percent.

Think about that.

6. Decadent

Decadent New Member

That's why you're not the manager.

Draft saved Draft deleted