1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett-anigans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure which of the Gannett threads this works best on so I decided to start another. I'm hearing rumblings, strong ones, that a long-time Gannett SE in Fort Collins, Colo., has opted to take a buyout. After the whole apply for your job thing, he didn't get the SE job he's held for a number of years.

Anyone know anything? And is everyone at Gannett applying for their own job?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not everyone at Gannett. Yet.

But knowing them, eventually.

Hopkins' blog had a few more details over a month ago:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/fort-collins-report-editors-must.html

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess the Colorado State volleyball and women's basketball beat writer job will be reassigned to other coverage as well.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Duff has been up there many years. I want to say 20-plus.

Though his latest story, written Tuesday, lists him as the sports editor in his tagline.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012204100343&nclick_check=1

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Fuck Gannett.

http://deadspin.com/5901203/a-reporter-who-announced-his-new-job-in-a-fake-nba+style-press-release-just-got-fired

Someone please hire this guy.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This is really sad for me to hear. Sean hired me as an intern the summer before my final year at Colorado State. I have a lot to thank him for. His wife is also an editor at the paper. He's a good guy who's been there for a while. Heck, they all are. Hope things turn out OK.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of this. It's a cute idea and it's cool that the guy is that excited about his new job ... but why in the world would you quote things from an offer letter that is presumably a private communication between an employer and prospective employee? What is the upside, and why would you think your new employer wouldn't have a problem with that?

I would hope that there could just be a sit-down meeting to let him know that was not cool and he needs to pick his spots better, rather than straight firing him. I'd be interested in seeing what he quoted from the offer letter.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's on the Romanesko link:

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/04/11/ive-been-hired-read-all-about-it/

(Disclosure: I've worked with and am friends with the guy in question. He's exceedingly nice and talented. He's not really a braggart at all, in my experience.)

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I thought it was embarrassing for him.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I've heard he's gotten positive reactions to this, so I hope he lands well on his feet.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't know him or anyone involved, but I hope things work out for him. It's not like farting in church, so that sucks it turned out to be a firing.

But if nothing else, it's a learning experience. After a job search as long and frustrating as his appears to have been, the first thing you do after landing a good job shouldn't be to do anything to make your new employer second-guess their decision. His reference to being one of the "Big Three" of Chips Quinn Scholars there and how few reporters there are with master's degree could make one wonder about an ego problem.

Not saying there is an ego problem, but one could make that assumption.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's like someone said on the Romanesko link: It's not like he emailed this to the Times or Post. It was just a fun little way to update his friends and family on his own personal blog.

Draft saved Draft deleted