1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett acquiring papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 2, 2015.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gannett stock got a decent little bump today, but I have no idea if that's related. At $37.39, we're not far off from $40 - another benchmark where I sell another fist full of shares.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can they have Snickers and Mountain Dew now?

Riptide likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like the slash and burn strategy is actually working. Yay.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how Gannett newspapers getting spun off will impact how they're run. I always felt a lot of the "initiatives" were designed to sucker Wall Street and boost the stock. I'm sure stock price will be the primary directive still, but perhaps not to the extent it was before. But you know there will another round of cuts to pay for the acquisitions before the end of the year.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Another round? It's only April. Gannett can fit in three rounds of layoffs between now and December.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Another interesting and I believe ominous nugget from the story is that the Detroit News was not included in the sale and a purchaser still needs to be found.

And this is strictly conjecture. But Gannett owns the Free Press. When Gannett bought the Pennsylvania and southwestern properties did they buy their way out of the JOA. Let's say that Gannett threw in an extra 10 million to terminate the JOA. The value to Gannett would be that if it lead to the demise of the News then Detroit becomes a monopoly and the Free Press more profitable.

Draft saved Draft deleted