1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett - 1st quarter furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, no. One of the worst companies today? Perhaps. The history of the U.S.? Nope.

I'd think there would be a few coal-mining companies, not to mention Rockefeller (the Ludlow Massacre), who would qualify as worst ever.

2. Unfortunately, soulless doesn't make them criminal, just despicable.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If I had to choose between a percentage pay cut or furloughs - give me furlough any time.

I'd rather have time off than do the same job and have to show up and get paid less.

At least during a furlough week I can do some things (my family owns a bar I can work a few nights and make some money back under the table) to offset the lost revenue on my terms.

That's why I'd rather have the furlough, then the "we are cutting your pay by .25 percent or whatever - if you are going to pay me less, give me the days off.

As for "mailing it in" - I don't believe anyone really does that but I do think that more and more people are understanding that it is OK to be a hard worker AND have a life and that means not obsessing over work every minute of every day (like a lot of us used to back when we were still idealistic).

I do the best I can do, give my shop my best effort but those days of me waiting by the phone for hours and hours on the off chance someone might call me back are done.

I've enjoyed my kids more and had more time with them in the past two years than I ever have and I am not going to apologize for that.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Thanks for that. We've been anticipating such acceptance as we make this part of the new work culture. Sincerely, Axis of Newspaper Executives.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's also the fact that, at least in some states, you can request unemployment pay if you're furloughed. I got about half my check the last time.

I have had at least a few coworkers don't mind (or even, like) furloughs. These are people who are doing well financially and would love the extra time to spend with their families or on vacation. They're not particularly vocal about this sentiment because they know others really could use the money.

I've said for a while -- since 2008 or so -- that employees should be allowed a single week of unpaid leave (a furlough, ostensibly) every year. I think many people would love to extend their vacation.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't forget (burn, burn, burn those records) Halliburton . . . run by soulless creeps.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, furloughs are far better than a pay cut or layoffs.

At least you can collect unemployment and at least you get the time off. It's not much, but it is something...

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There's speculation in the investment community that Gannett will be announcing a dividend increase in the next few days.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Salary people cannot draw a dime.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sez who?

11. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well, of course.

I've told this story here before, but in 1999 we had a meeting at the Gannett paper where I worked. We learned about budget cuts, cuts to the travel budget, cuts to this and that. Cuts, cuts, cuts.

When we walked out and got back to our desks, one of us noticed a story on the wire about Gannett's record-high earnings that quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted