1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett - 1st quarter furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm guessing our contract that guaranteed us the lovely 6.5% pay cut for several years also guarantees us no furlough but I could be wrong. And yes, as I had gone my whole career without collecting a penny of unemployment, I thought I deserved to file when I was furloughed. If they pass a law against it, so be it but I'm taking what's available. Just like tax deductions you're entitled to...

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, don't get all pissed guys. CNHI just announced theirs for the 10th quarter in 11.
    Most of those employees could have bought a car with their lost money.
    Advertising, continuing to be down, avoids it for the 10th quarter in 11.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Accumulated ....10 weeks of unemployment for CNHI. How can that be legal?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whether the taxpayer is on the hook at all depends on the state. In some states, you can collect if you are unemployed for a week.

In other states, you have to be out longer than a week before you become eligible.

So the sweethearts at Gannett corporate aren't really thinking of anyone other than themselves.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Agree with all but this. I care about the work I put out, no matter what the job or the circumstances. And I always will do my best. Just because my boss or whoever doesn't give a crap doesn't make me feel it's OK to mail it in.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's interesting about Indy. I know of a few other Gannett shops that are union. Are they protected as well?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I care about the work I do, too. But only to a point.

When I have bosses who treat me right, I bust my hump for them. When I have bosses that treat me wrong, I'm not going to kill myself for them.

Take care of me, and I'll take care of you.

Want to cut people, cut pay, make people take furloughs? Then expect that there will be consequences. You're not going to be loyal to me, then why should I be loyal to you?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You always want to do your best, but it's a challenge to motivate folks when there are little or no raises, furloughs looming and the chance to be laid off whether you do great work or play solitaire all day.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True dat.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Meanwhile, your top level management is on a coke-binge from a money perspective, turning over every rock for short-term gratification.

I remember someone from CNHI during maybe the second or third round of furloughs saying an advertising salesperson said during the announcement, "well at least we all have jobs" and someone from the newsroom wanted to take his head off.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Re: Mailing it in.

I haven't met many people who are capable of reversing that process. Once they start mailing it in, usually they mail it in for life. In the long run, they erode their talent and they are no longer simply withholding their effort, they just suck in general.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are times where I wished I would have been able to mail it in. I could never do it and 95 percent of the non-managers I worked with were incapable of doing that either.

Draft saved Draft deleted