1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett 1-week furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cool Stagger. Go for it.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, if your managers gave a shit about their employees' well-being, as I'm sure they untruthfully said they did during the meeting, they would say "we don't care what you do during your week off as long as it's not conspiring to burn the building down or go on a glass-office shooting spree."

Suffice it to say they're not checking with the lawyers to make sure it's OK for you to actually make money for yourself.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

covered a basketball game involving our local D-I university here this afternoon and met a writer from Gannett...he said he had to turn in his week of "furlough" and has the gut feeling this is just the first of furloughs that are going to become the norm, once the brass at Gannett sees that it could save some money, etc.
    will be interesting to watch this deal develop, won't it?

4. agateguy

agateguy Member

If you're on the outside, and want to see how "citizen journalism" will work in the real world.

For those of us who have to live with it, it's a royal pain in the ass at best.

Actually, this furlough - and another, and another, and another - would all add up to be one of the most outrageous, bullshit moves any company could ever make.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Of course this is only the first of the furloughs. Here's what will happen, this round of furloughs will go on as planned and the paper will get out as planned and stories will appear on the web as planned and page views will go up (as planned). And suits will realize you can still put out a product (Better Done Than Good!!) with half the manpower, so they'll go for another round in April.

And in April, they'll tell you that you're saving your job by accepting the furlough.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

StaggerLee...you are exactly right. your prediction is going to come true. damn, i am glad i don't work for Gannett. i have a lot of friends who have dealt with them and they absolutely hate it. had two who have gotten out of Gannett papers in past year and are now working for small dailies or weeklies. they tell me it's like being "reborn." not having ever worked for Gannett, it's really that bad, huh?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wonder if your contract allows you to blow guys at the Greyhound station while furloughed?

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Mine certainly does.

But, my attorney demanded that it be written into the contract after that unforunate "zipper" incident at my last shop.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This furlough thing is a disgrace to the American way of life. Disgraceful. Let's see it's a full time job isn't it? Not at Gannett where you will be furloughed oh, 3 or 4 weeks a year. You wait and see.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

To Gannett, furloughs will change journalism forever.

Like real life, real news. And news 2000. And mainstreaming. And interviewing sources only because they are minorities.

Yeah, those all really panned out ...

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank God the sperm banks are open.

Draft saved Draft deleted