1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett 1-week furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jan 14, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It may be bad and disgraceful but if you are furloughed for a week and still care so much that you work just to prove you are a good beat writer, you are a moron.

And that comes from a mid-managment type who checks my office e-mail multiple times on days off to make sure there are no problems that I should be taking care of.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

If the furlough is forced upon you, take the time to plan life after newspapers.

To me, this is management testing the waters, trying to see just how many people it takes to simply put the paper out. Fuck quality. So, when they have their magic number, the permanent cuts will come.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

That same thought has crossed my mind. It's what worries me the most about the whole thing.

4. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Furlough plans are certainly nothing new. The Goodyear plant here shut down for a week three times last year. From a cost-saving standpoint, it's a great way to do it. The first quarter is almost always very weak, even in financially strong times, so why not try it? While it certainly sucks for the people having to do this, one week's less pay is far better than 52 weeks less.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only difference is this way, you get a week off.

6. agateguy

agateguy Member

I'm (mostly) past my anger at this bullshit idea of GCI's.

But I know that unemployment will provide part of the money that I should be earning at my job. Better yet, if I can get the week off in March or even late February, I can probably line up a temp job to offset part of the loss...and not have to wait 2-3 weeks for the state's unemployment check.

Better yet, I can kick up my prep for finding a new job, whenever the economy improves, or whenever GCI generously offers me (and others) permanent, unlimited weeks off without pay.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, it means you do no work. If I were a good beat writer who couldn't stay away, I would be lining up freelance pieces rather than shipping items to the paper or mentoring the replacement person.

How can you argue with that, Freddie?

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing most beat writers won't take their week off during their season unless they want to.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You have to take it by the end of March for Gannett.

10. Mizzougrad96

If I had to take a week and I was in the middle of the season, I would turn off my cell and not do a single thing during the week.

The fact that this has to be done by March leads me to believe the next round of layoffs come April 1.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's the end of the first quarter. I don't know if layoffs will come April 1 but I think it's a good bet they won't come in February now.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Exactly. No cell, no calls, no emails, nothing. No work.

The only work I would do is freelancing for someone else during that time. If Gannett is going to force me to not work and not get paid, then I will find someone to buy something from me that normally would have been in the paper. It may be a website, a magazine, a school or local sports team that needs a Web boost.

Draft saved Draft deleted