1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett 1-week furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Or in overtime. Oh, wait ...

2. How many jobs is this 'saving'?

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

There will be more layoffs I'm sure. What makes Gannett different from the other media orgs going through this is that Gannett is profitable, and is absolutely gutting the product on every platform. What will be left when the economy recovers?

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I've been told that is a distinct possibility. So, four extra weeks off with a 7.6 percent pay cut.

What burned me, though, was the honcho thanking us for our loyalty. Exactly what does it mean to him?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am quite sure the honchos can deal with the manditory furlough than the grunts will..

6. I may have only stayed a couple weeks, but I'm glad I left the Gannett paper and went back to the paper I had left to go to the Gannett paper.

(I think that makes sense)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Strangely, it does.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Leaving a Gannett paper makes perfect sense.

9. It certainly does.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I am wondering SERIOUSLY what this means? I mean does this mean the week you are furloughed you do no work?? Bullshit. The GOOD beat writer will continue to work and ship in items to the paper or help the REPLACEMENT beat writer and get paid nothing. This business is a fucking joke.How can any of you argue with me? That furloughs are better than layoffs? Bullshit. It's all bad and all disgraceful.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I am ready to take a stinky dump in Craig Dubow's front yard.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

L-O-Fucking-L.

Fuck you Craig Dubow.

Fuck you Gannett.

And that's from the bottom of my heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted