1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ganim / Patriot-News Win Pulitzer for Sandusky / PSU Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This reminded me that my brother used to listen to the fire department scanner every night when I was a little kid. He's now a lieutenant and has been a fireman for 20 years. I envy people like him and Sara Ganim who get to do for a living the one thing they always dreamed of.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Congrats to Sara and everyone who worked with her on a huge story. Nice to see a "smaller" paper get some well-earned Pulitzer recognition.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Taking nothing away from Sara, or her reporting, but since this Prize is for local reporting, doesn't it usually go to a smaller paper?

Is there a list of previous winners of this particular Prize available?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the Pulitzer website has the list of all previous winners.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Let me get that for you.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

That shit is gold. I give you the Pulitzer for Message Board Funny Storytelling. Oh, that doesn't exist? Well, I still laughed.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This ^^ Times 10. What a fantastic honor for Sara and everyone at the paper who supported her. There had to be some tense editorial moments concerning what she kept finding through dogged reporting, but her bosses obviously believed in and backed her. That doesn't always happen in the newspaper world (or any corporate world, really).

As for how she or anyone dressed in the celebratory photos -- sigh. Can't believe that's actually a topic, so I will say I dig her red shoes.

Here's a nice piece from Glamour magazine about her work ethic, and how she basically just started knocking on doors:
    http://www.glamour.com/inspired/magazine/2012/02/meet-the-woman-who-exposed-jerry-sandusky

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Since the Local Reporting award was re-instituted after a five-decade hiatus, these papers have won since 2007:
    Miami Herald 2007
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 2008
    East Valley Tribune 2009
    Detroit Free Press 2009
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 2010
    Chicago Sun-Times 2011

And from 1948-1952, it was all big papers.

Finalists since 2007 have included papers big and small.
    http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Local-Reporting

9. writingump

writingump Member

Glad to see her and her newspaper reaped their just rewards for their brilliant coverage. Talk about your rock stars. And all because she had the work ethic and guts to see things through. That should be a lesson for all of us on the board.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't look at it that way. Yes, she'll move on, get paid, etc., but I would hope her future editor(s) would be happy for her to just keep waking up every day hungry and kicking ass in her corner of the world. I wouldn't need to see more hardware in the next 30 years to call her successful.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Look, $10,000 is nice, but the guild minimum salary at the Times is in the mid-$80,000 range. I bet that's double what she's making now.

She's going to find her way elsewhere eventually and that's going to be great when it happens, but I doubt leaving TOMORROW is a priority. It would be nice if she got to enjoy this for a minute too. I suspect she is.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The story isn't complete, right? This still has not totally played out.

If I was her, the last story I would write before I moved on, would be about Sandusky's first day in jail after the guilty verdict is given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.