1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ganim / Patriot-News Win Pulitzer for Sandusky / PSU Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sara's win is a blow for little papers to stop looking for excuses when it comes to going after big stories. Hustle and bust your ass and you too can celebrate like the good folks in Harrisburg.
    Wherever she goes, IF she decides to leave, I'm hoping that she's happy.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have to admit -- as I sit on my sofa in painter's shorts and a stained, raggedy T-shirt I just wore out in public -- that I thought this same thing.

At any rate, what a great moment for journalism. Glad she won it, and it was deserved.

And as for the idea that it fell into her lap and it was easy to report because it's her alma mater, it seems to me there are pages of proof around here that covering this story in that town as a local would be hell.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Funny story from the place where I work now.
    Long before I got here the paper won a Pulitzer and the newsroom celebration approached World Series winning proportions. Champagne corks flying, spray everywhere, bubbly being dumped over heads. People jumping on others' shoulders and running around the newsroom.
    Just so happened, this was the first day for a new employee. He showed up for work and another guy was assigned to show him around the newsroom.
    So, they're walking through the newsroom just as the Pulitzer news was arriving and the place goes crazy.
    Newb to his guide: "What's going on?"
    Guide to the newb: "It's payday."

edit for typo

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

My guess is that she wants to follow at least some of it through.

I know that if I took all the crap she did, I would love to be there when they cart Sandusky off to jail.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I agree. There are a lot of people who have a lot of contacts and don't break stuff like this.

And it's not like she had a lot of athletic department contacts.

Her stories show how hard she worked.

But I did not think for a minute it was a slam dunk. The Pulitzer Committee has pulled some egregious shit.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Anyone who says they would just shrug their shoulders as a reaction to winning a Pulitzer should go ahead and get another line of work.

Joyless, jaded and cynical.

7. Perfectly said, SF. The thought you had in the last graf about the business was similar to the thoughts I had watching her celebrate and thinking of her work, after a few days of griping about the cesspool of this business. And for her to say it was a win for newsrooms like that everywhere was very humble, gracious and inspiring.

For all the bitterness that sometimes comes when this industry hires young, because it sometimes means cheap, this is a perfect reminder not to generalize. Congratulations to Sara and the whole newsroom there. An extremely well-deserved honor.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Your friend is without a clue.

His problem, not yours.

9. Well said..
    I'm jealous and envious. Twenty four and can write her own ticket. And it would be an award-winning ticket to boot.

There is no doubt she deserved this. She earned it.

I hope someone here will pass on the congrats to her.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's tough to top Layla.

Hope she's able to do it.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great video with the story linked earlier in the thread.

Really enjoyed your speech.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

She still has the heart when many of us have lost it. That should be noted, and applauded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.