1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gangs of New York on USA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

"Warriors, come out to play-ay!"

2. Mr. Day-Lewis is fabulous, as always. Diaz and Leo, not so much.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Great movie.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm watching it for the first time. I'm so fascinated by early America (as in this era, not early early America).

And, yes, DDL is incredible.

The first fight scene was kind of weird though. Very weird cuts and transitions.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The weird cuts continue.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This is the worst movie I ever saw at a movie theatre. Three hours of boredom.

I cringe when I see the title of the movie anywhere.

However, U2's theme song to the movie was the only great thing about it.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a "guy" picture . . . a Marty specialty.

There isn't much that transcends all borders, any more. People like what they like.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I loved this movie ... Thought it deserved best picture that year (of course, I despise musicals). Chicago won; The Two Towers, The Hours and The Pianist were the other nominees. The Pianist was pretty good, but left little lasting impression on me. I loved the Two Towers (all three LOTR movies, really), but had no expectation it would win. The Hours and Chicago are Academy-style movies, but I didn't care for either.

I thought Leo was excellent, Diaz didn't get in the way and, obviously, DDL was terrific. He had a much more dynamic character than Adrien Brody (who won the Oscar) did in "The Pianist." All Brody had to do was kind of look sad and timid throughout that movie.

The Butcher was just such an interesting character and DDL really made him come to life. I'm surprised he didn't win. Of course, I believe it was Brody who kissed Halle Berry after winning and had his name not been called, that classic Oscar moment wouldn't have happened.

He was up for lead actor, not supporting.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I may have posted this on one of the irrational hate threads we've had in the past, but I *loathe* Daniel Day Lewis. It started with "The Age of Innocence" and only got worse. I saw Gangs in spite of him, just like I'll probably see There Will Be Blood in spite of him. I can't explain why I hate him, but I do.

Oh, and I hated Gangs, probably because of DDL.

10. If you hate Daniel Day Lewis, don't bother seeing There Will Be Blood.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I admit DDL isn't exactly warm and cuddly, but shit, he's a fucking great actor. I can't see how you'd hate that.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Gangs of New York' is a bad movie.
    It's not 'Cloverfield' bad, but it's bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted