1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gangs of New York on USA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Now until 3 a.m.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

sure beats watching Captains of the Clouds on TCM.

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Great Movie! I want to be a butcher, too.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I've sorta stayed away from this one because I'm not too good with graphic violence, but I think I'm going to give it another watching.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is ridiculously good. He deserved an Oscar.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I saw it the first weekend it came out. I had high hopes and came away monumentally disappointed in it. Day-Lewis was brilliant and should have won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Other than that, meh. Diaz was passable. Leo was dreadful.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Holy shit. I figured I was the only one in the country who was watching this.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I had no clue John C. Reilly was in this.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

John C. Reilly is in every movie.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I liked this movie better ... when it was called The Warriors.

Nothing like a vaguely Joe Thiesmann-like psychopath defiantly clicking bottles before getting getting his from the Riffs, who would totally kick Public Enemy's S1W's asses.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the survivor spirit of The Warriors, and that of urban gangs everywhere, is perfectly embodied by that noted anthem of street toughs -- Joe Walsh's In The City.

Now THAT'S some Gangs Of New York. As for the real thing? DDL rocked, the rest was mostly pretentious nonsense.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I thought Leo was excellent in this. Of course, nobody compared to DDL, who stole the friggin' show (like everyone says he does in "There Will Be Blood" this year.)

Diaz wasn't much, but I liked her character. She didn't ruin it for me, that's for sure. Love this movie.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I still say Road To Perdition was the best movie that year.

Draft saved Draft deleted