1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gamers that never ran: College Football Playoff edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

NYT said it would have been 27 years since Georgia's last title. It would have been 37.

Hope the desk would have caught that.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did they print them in their Ghana edition?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Also spelled Warner Robins wrong.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And AP said Warner Robins is about an hour south of Atlanta. That's true -- if you're driving 100 mph or so.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Call me crazy, but would you copy edit these "scrapped" stories? Kinda lends a bit of authenticity, no? Lord knows all of my tight-deadline gamers weren't flawless. But I'd include a note somehow that these were raw and potentially, well, wrong.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's a great story idea. I would love to know how it was arranged -- I assume in the press box -- without getting a brushoff from the writers on deadline.

And then -- because I'm a management weenie -- I wonder how the other news organizations feel about seeing their people's unpublished work product appearing in another news outlet. (For me, it would be OK, for two reasons -- it gets our name out there, and it helps humanize our business -- but I admit I would ruminate over how it could come back to bite my organization.)

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm amazed those guys kept the unused ledes around. I always delete that stuff as soon as it becomes invalid out of fear I'll file the wrong thing.

Tweener and Hermes like this.
  9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind, too.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Send them to Orlando for their special National Champions section.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Now that we can print shithole, they should include all the expletives the writers muttered, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted