1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GameChanger and prep agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 2, 2017.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Wondering how different papers use GameChanger to compile spring sports agate. Most schools around Hackyville are using it. Do you work with GameChanger directly, or do you have schools feed you the boxes directly through email without going to the GC website? We've stopped taking phone-in results in all sports because of manpower issues, and this has really helped.

We try to work with GC directly, although we have problems every year around this time because the GC people want us to go through a renewal process that doesn't always go smoothly.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We use for softball and baseball. I just follow the teams and get the emails sent. So much better than sitting through 15 minutes on a phone call of a 15-12 game.

Do you have a media account? If you go through GC and let them know you work for a paper they should give you access. Sometimes they forget at renewal time and I've had to call to reactivate

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Really? Never tried this. What we've done in the past is get login info from the coaches and just go find their results that way. Not ideal.

4. Della9250

Yeah a couple years ago when our coaches stared using it, I signed up and sae you had to pay. I contacted them about our situation and they hooked it up.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't know they worked with the media that way. We've just paid for a subscription. A year is only $40, so it's not like we're breaking the bank. If the paper didn't pay for it I'd be willing to pony up out of pocket for it, since it makes my life a lot easier.
    It's well worth it, too, for baseball and softball. I don't know about turning the box scores into agate without retyping everything, but it's made call-ins bliss. Even if one of our local teams isn't using it or doesn't load their stats right away, the odds are good that the team they're playing does and will. It's made my life a hell of a lot easier.

Liut likes this.
  6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

HBO used to show that movie often. I thought Julianne Moore did well as Sarah Palin.

Liut likes this.
  7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone with a media account on GameChanger have trouble accessing stats from games?

We cannot access stats a team sends us, even though we're signed up for a free media account. GC said we would have access to everything, but that hasn't been the case. Their customer service is awful, taking several days -- in one case, at least -- to respond to an inquiry.

This is ridiculous.

8. Della9250

Sometimes they have a glitch that won't show you the boxscore but the basic package should let you see the box and play by play

9. KYSportsWriter

It's not letting us see anything. We get emails from each team we follow, but the only thing that shows up when we click on the link to view game stats is an option to upgrade to a premium account.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If I had a dime for all the times I've paid for something the newspaper won't pay for, I'd be a rich rich person. Newspapers are full of loyal people like this, taking one for the team when the team leaders don't care about you one iota.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think there's a setting where coaches can keep that private. You have to get approval from an admin to look at it.
    Have you checked to see if the team has them on MaxPreps? One of the great things about Gamechanger is that it lets you upload stats and scores instantly to MaxPreps, so a lot of teams just do that once they finish scoring the game.

12. KYSportsWriter

Most teams have given us that approval, but still nothing.

It's beyond frustrating for them to say we'll have access to the game stats, box scores and recaps when we actually don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted