1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

game story protocol

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But of course!

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I gave a little talk to a high school English class once, and the teacher started giving me the gears about my use of "And" and "But" to start sentences. I cut her throat with a protractor.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree. It's a good rule for high schools and college freshmen to avoid choppy, run-on sentences, but it's been broken for centuries by countless writers, including myself.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jonesy, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I applaud your weapon choice. Much cleaner and more effective than beating her with a dictionary or smashing the overhead projector over her head.

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

You know how some writers always use a kicker that ties back to their lead? I hate that. It almost always gives me douche chills.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

what's to hate? it brings the story full circle - the kicker should tie up everything.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Agree with henry...there's nothing wrong with tying a story together, so long as it's not a complete stretch.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, henry.

If you're using your last graph to bring the story full circle ... please, stop it. It's one of the most cliched story "tricks" in history.

The last graph of a news story is not there to write "THE END," just like it's not, as some writers believe, supposed to be a weak, optional graph that can be cut easily for space considerations.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

so what should the last graf be used for?

A good story will work in just about any way. I'm sure there are lots of good rules-of-thumb as well as hard-and-fast rules to follow but, for the most part, the people who believe some things should "never" be used aren't very imaginative types.

The newspaper business isn't a very complicated business. Just tell the story in an entertaining, concise and informative way. If you fuck up or something doesn't work the way you hoped it would, try it again tomorrow. Of the several industries in which I've worked, it's by far the most forgiving and forgetting.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So if the score is supposed to be the first number, does that make you a hack if you write something like "LaDainian Tomlinson ran for 178 yards and a touchdown to lead San Diego to a 24-21 win over Buffalo on Sunday"?

Draft saved Draft deleted