1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game Show Contestants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 18, 2008.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I was a contestant on Remote Control.
    They had tryouts at my college.
    You took a 20-question pop culture quiz, (I got 18 of 20 right), then a personality evaluation, then played a mock version of the game.
    Somehow, I made it.
    Month later, I drive to NYC and show up for the taping. It was the first season after Kari had left so this brunette was the babe du jour.
    They taped 5 shows a day and I was ready to go. But they wanted to pare us up in a certain way so my group ended going last. I had to wait 5 hours in a room with the other contestants as they taped.
    Finally, there was just me and 2 others.
    After 5 hours, I was getting a little nervous, I kept tapping my foot (in those cheesy LA Gear sneakers) so much, they asked me to stop.
    I got off to a quick start, answering tough questions for just 5 points.
    Then they dropped the snack on us -- wrapped Fig Newtons, that felt like bricks when dropped from a height of 30 feet. I got nailed in the nads. Ouch!
    Second round, this pasty-faced chick gets on a run to take the lead. That means I'm buzzing in early to try to beat her and catch up.
    I enter the lightning round down by 30 points and this is what pisses me off 18 years later, you clearly see me push my buzzer before her and her light goes on for her to answer.
    So I lost, I turned to her, said "good game," shook hands and was pulled up on that rocket ship chair.
    It was fun but I'm still disappointed I lost. If I had been in the other groups, I would have won, but the only other smart person was in my group.
    Ober and Quinn were nice guys and we had a huge party when it aired 2 months later.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That's awesome. All except for the part about Kari not being there.

I remember that chick that replaced her. A poor stand-in, to say the least.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I stayed with a college pal when I did the taping. The night before, he took me around his neighborhood and I met some of his friends.
    He told them what I was doing and one of his friends says to me, and this is a direct quote I remember clearly, almost 19 years later: "YOU HAVE TO FUCK KARI! YOU HAVE TO FUCK KARI!"
    I'm glad I didn't see him afterwards, would have broken his heart.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Too funny. I'm sure you would have nailed her if you had the chance, though.

Here's a little fan site devoted to the show. Not great, but better than anything else I could find.

http://dc-lundberg.net/remotecontrol

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Sweet, sweet Shandi.

[​IMG]

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How do you type drooling sounds?

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone.

And while I might not LOOK like and SOB, I guarantee, a day with me and you'll think otherwise ;)

Obviously, for most game shows, you have to have a certain charisma, as stated. But with the newer shows, Like DOND, you have to make an ass out of yourself to get on the show in the first place. They wouldn't want me, because as a gambler, I can evaluate the odds and decide if I should keep going or not.

On WoF and Jeopardy!, they don't need the asses. They've been around long enough to get millions of people wanting to be on the show and people are going to watch at 7 and 7:30 cause they have for 20 or 25 years now. (BTW, piece of trivia, what was the first letter Vanna turned as hostess on WoF?)

When I saw they were doing a million dollar spectacular for TPIR, I knew they were in trouble without Barker.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Thanks, I may have to contact this guy.
    I transferred my appearance from VHS to DVD a few years ago so I can "pass it" down.

Draft saved Draft deleted