1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game preview feedback apprecaited

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by TMagelssen, Feb 1, 2011.

1. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

I graduate in May and I was hoping for some feedback on my latest preview. It's pretty straight forward, I'm just hoping for some feedback to ponder on while I work on some clips for my portfolio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech forward Mike Singletary said he couldn’t sleep Sunday night because he was so amped up to play Kansas.

The senior has reason to be pumped: Tech basketball is on its first three-game conference winning streak since 2007 and hosts the No. 2 team in the nation at 8 p.m. today in United Spirit Arena.

But while Singletary can’t sleep because of his excitement, perhaps Kansas coach Bill Self is having nightmares about his past three trips to Lubbock.

The Self-led Jayhawks never have won in Lubbock, dropping three straight decisions.

“That happens; everybody has a place where they can’t win at, every team across America — pros, college — it’s hard to explain,” Tech coach Pat Knight said. “It’s really pretty much a mental deal, but I wish it meant something, I wish I could count on it for (tonight) but you can’t. It’s just going to be another game.”

Tech has won its last three home games against Kansas by an average of eight points, including a 19-point blowout two years ago.

But what does Tech’s home success against Kansas mean for tonight’s game?

“I wish I knew. You hope it continues, but, like I said, it’s two different teams,” Knight said.

The Red Raiders (11-11, 3-4 in Big 12 Conference play) are clicking at the right time — especially with a tough stretch looming beginning with tonight’s game.

The Big 12 currently has four teams ranked in the top 25: Kansas, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M. Guess who the Red Raiders play the next four games?

Bingo.

“They’re big-time games,” Singletary said, “and if you win a few of those games you’re right there, you’re right there with one of the top teams in the Big 12 and that’s where we wanted to be to start the year.

We’ve got a tough stretch coming up, but we’ve got to start with Kansas and go from there.”

Tech definitely will start the potentially brutal four-game stretch with Kansas, but whether or not it can keep up with the Jayhawks is a whole different issue.

Perhaps the Red Raiders’ biggest advantage against the second-ranked team in all the land is home-court advantage, said Tech guard John Roberson.

“Home-court advantage,” Roberson said with a smile. “We’re going to be at home so that’s always a good thing — you know that can go a long way, so hopefully we can just use that to our advantage and execute this game plan.”

Singletary said Tech’s game plan should start with defense, specifically limiting the number of layups and points the Red Raiders allow in the paint.

Standing in the way of Tech’s potential tactics are twin brothers Marcus and Markieff Morris, who average a combined 29.7 points and 15.6 rebounds to lead the Jayhawks.

Singletary calls the duo “beasts,” but the way the Tech forward is playing, teammate John Roberson gave him the same label.

On Monday Singletary was named the Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week for his performances against Iowa State and Oklahoma State.

“He’s been playing like a beast,” Roberson said of Singletary. “We’re going to need him to play just like that against KU. He’s been attacking the basket, knocking down shots and he’s a hard matchup because he can post up and he can drive the ball.”

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When you mentioned conference play, you need to put Big 12 with it on first reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted